« Home | Am a happy child! » | Of Indians and our fascination for IB/Consult jobs » | Essay Update » | And the schools are... » | Michael Flatley Rox! » | School Selection » | 720 and retake GMAT? » | First Post »

Chicago n Ross Essays

I like apps that give opputunity to display your professional and personal lives in balance. I wanted to begin work on Chicago's app. But given the essays they have, I am finding it difficult to present all aspects of my professional life. They seem to be trying hard to get to know the applicant. The short ans questions are more abt your personality than achievements. Since Rose Martinelli moved to Chicago from Wharton sometime last yr, the changes in their application process are quite visible. I believe her greatest contribution so far has been the admissions forums - they absolutely fabulous! Post a question there and you are sure to get different perspectives from various students and even adcom members within a few hrs! Awesome! Even the essays and interview policy have changed. Last yr the focus wasn't so much on knowing the applicant personally, but this yr the essay questions are more personal in nature: Issue facing humanity, book/play/movie, study group selection - its hard to show your professional side in these questions. "One thing people don't know abt you" still leaves some room for you to do that. I am maha (greatly) confused abt the Chicago app. I guess I need to spend a lot more time introspecting than I have till now... Helps to know I am not the only one, even InBlue is facing the same problem.

I like Ross' essays this yr. Unlike last yr, they are not 100% focused on the professional aspect of your life. That kinda put me off last yr. Notably, they have converted "Professional Leadership" into a "Leadership" essay and "How have you developed professionally" into "How have you developed professionally and personally". Though I have looked at it only peripherally and I am yet to decide upon what to write, I still like it. :)

Yesterday, I was busy firefighting for one of the non-profit projects I work on. The entire day went off in it and I ended up spending not a minute on the essays yest. Hope to be able to catch up a bit today.

Labels: ,

I second you on Rose's move. Its had some effect may be.

may be we could help each other with the chicago.

I however have a different view of the short answers. They are undoubtly there to help them know 'you '. That description as to be wholesome. The challenge is to come out as a mature,well rounded person ( professional and personal ) in 300 words. I would not want all the 3 answers to be personal in nature. ( it leaves no scope for profession anywhere except in the goals ) The chicago app is too open as I said.The onus is on you to carve out the niche.

I also like how Ross asks about professional AND personal in the essays... I didn't realize it wasn't like that last year. I really enjoy the "personal" activities I do, so I get very excited to tell them about it through essays!

Post a Comment


Locations of visitors to this page