« Home | Columbia Interview Experience » | Wharton - "Complete - R1" » | My name is Hobbes and I obsess over my apps » | Columbia Interview Invite » | Darden Submitted » | Darden Update » | Waving bye bye to social life » | Business Week 2006 rankings released » | What happens to my app once its submitted? » | Freaking out now :( »

Duke Reco faux pas :(

Back in Sept, when sending out the reco requests to my recommenders, I disintinctly remember reading on Duke's website that a reapplicant has the option of submitting only one reco - implying two recos are expected. And since my profile had undergone significant change, I thought it best to ask my boss to submit another reco - he'd recommended me last yr too. But now, a few hours after both the recos were submitted, I find out from a friend that only one is expected. And indeed, on the instructions for reapplicants, it is mentioned that only one is expected.

Maybe I remember wrongly, maybe the instructions changed - either way I should've checked it again to be sure, especially because the Duke app underwent considerable change from last year. :(

Anyway, I am in a fix now. What should I do? :( Should I explain it in the optional essay? Or just let it be?

:(

Labels:

Hey.. I don't think it matters... actually I've heard that recommendations themselves don't matter much.. coz everyone can get someone to say nice things about him/her...

Just ignore it... to be sure ask a BW ad consultant

I'm sure there are other ppl who make such mistakes. Don't worry, it's not as big as having the wrong school name in your essays or something like that. Even if you are planning to explain in your optional essay, tell them you sent an additional reco because you feel it adds a different dimension to your app.

I agree w/ Juggler. I don't think they would hold it against you, and if you want to proactively explain in your optional essay, put forward that you wanted to ensure that you could demonstrate all the elements of your application that have evolved in the past year. That way, you're not saying "oops... didn't read the directions."

will second both Rungee and Juggler. some schools have an option of deleting the recommendation (but i dont think that's required in your case)

Thanks guy, I will explain it in the Optional essay.

@FG - Unfortunately I don't have the option of deleting it...

Guess i am too late to comment ! But yeah I third or fourth everyone's opinon. Now be a little creative in your optional essay ! Aside from explaining why the second recommendation, add some flair to it. Use a impressive tag line that makes the second one look more important. More than sounding justifying, sound genuine and it wont look like a covering up.

Hey, they won't refuse to review a reapplicant because of an extra rec letter ;) Don't worry, everything will be fine.

Post a Comment


Locations of visitors to this page