« Home | Business Week 2006 rankings released » | What happens to my app once its submitted? » | Freaking out now :( » | Wharton Submitted » | Draft for Stern's creative essay » | Wharton App :( » | Columbia Status: Complete » | Columbia Submitted » | Blogging Hiatus in the MBA Applicants' World? » | I am still alive! »

Waving bye bye to social life

But whats the point, its already gone far away... so far away that there's no hope of it coming back in the near future. :(

Damn this admissions process! This lack of a social life is killing! Last night there was an office party, and for a change, it was well organized. I decided to go for it as working on my apps has effectively killed my social life. But even after reaching there, I couldnt shake my mind off the essays, the app, the transcripts, TOEFL Waiver etc etc etc! I hit the dance floor thinking it would be better once I let my hair down.

BUT NOPE!!! Even while on the dance floor, my mind kept wandering off to the apps. BAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! So finally I decided to leave after 1.5 hrs of pure torture. And not the least of all because there was this cute girl at work that I wanted a dance with, but didnt even approach her because I knew I wouldnt be able to make any civil conversation with her, I'd bore her to death with all this. :( :( :(

Pleez tell me you guys are also going through the same. I will definitely feel better if I am not the only one. :) I know atleast one other fellow applicant who is : MBABabe

Labels:

You can approach it otherwise: you cannot get rid of thoughts about essays etc. - but you can make socializing work for you. You can try to speak with people about your essays questions. I mean, not about having your essays questions as they are ("I'm applying to H, they ask me About My Failures, wanna talk about it?" :) But about experiences of other people ("You know, I recently started to review my biography and recalled some funny moments, you know, like when I was in the middle of serious trouble at work and then it all miraculously sorted out; I wonder, what's your story?").
I found it quite helpful to chit-chat with people asking them exactly the same questions as AdComs ask me (but in more engaging forms :) Sometimes when you really can't figure out a good response or thrilling parenthesis, you can learn nice tricks from other people when you meet them in parties and so on. In this way you'd rather look forward to parties than lock yourself over your applications at home :)

Nat, you have such a good attitude towards this! I am impressed (and should take some tips)!

hobbes - last night i did the same thing. decided to go out and "let loose." i still ended up talking about bschool - even to random people - and woke up w/ a big headache. but hey, at least we tried, right?? :)

btw - thanks for the blog shout-out!

@Nat: Girl, thats an awesome attitude!!! Will try that the next time around. In a party situation it might not make for a very interesting conversation, but at official parties it wont be boring either :)

@MB: If talking abt BSchool is giving you a headache, think abt the ppl you spoke abt it with :p

I am not one of the 'no social life'. But i know how it feels.

Post a Comment


Locations of visitors to this page