« Home | Wharton - "Complete - R1" » | My name is Hobbes and I obsess over my apps » | Columbia Interview Invite » | Darden Submitted » | Darden Update » | Waving bye bye to social life » | Business Week 2006 rankings released » | What happens to my app once its submitted? » | Freaking out now :( » | Wharton Submitted »

Columbia Interview Experience

Had my Columbia interview today. My interviewer and I met a golf club here in Delhi for lunch. My interviewer worked at McK for 3 yrs and then joined his family business. He was very impressive, I must say (but then, what else did I expect?) :)

The interview was scheldued for 1 PM, but he was busy so came only at 1:40 PM - he did call to say he would be delayed. He was easy going and put me at ease right from the beginning. He started out asking me the regular questions:

Why MBA?
Why Columbia?
Whats ur leadership style?
Did u have problems leading ppl, how did u resolve it?
Which other schools are you apping to?
How did you approach the school selection process?

There were a few others, but I dont remember. And oh yes, he talked extensively about his Columbia experience, profs, electives he took etc. When I asked him for feedback, he just laughed it off :( And ofcourse gave me a disclaimer that interview is just a part of the whole process. Overall, it was ok. I was happy with myself, but then I was extremely happy with my performance last yr too - but that didnt land me anywhere, did it?

And oh yes, I used accepted.com's interview feedback to prepare for it. I found the feedback quite useful - not only for the questions, but also to get an essence of the style of interview most CBS alums prefer - conversational. Would highly recommend it. I hear Clearadmit's Wiki is also a good tool, but didn't have the time. Do chk out clearadmit's latest post on interview etiquette.

Labels:

Dude, looks like you did very well. Good job! May you get the coveted admit soon :)

Here, I am still waiting for the invite.

Good luck!

ATB !
The real wait starts now !

Sounds good to me :)
All the best!!!

Congratulations again. A question: what is a good approach to answer "Which other schools are you apping to?"?

nice work. now get ready to cough up that $5000 dollar deposit ;)

@nat4mba
I would be honest and list all the schools i am applying to.

Thanks guys! :)

@ Nat: Yes, do list the schools, but be prepared to answer why that particular school is imp and top choice for u. No school would like being told they are second fiddle to some other school. Basically, your "Why X School" answer must be solid!

I am just afraid that whatever I will say, an interviewer will be puzzled whether I am honest, because how I can prove that, for example, Wharton is better for me than Harvard... I can say in long why I like W and why I like H, but is it possible to compare all four schools and show that this one is the best :( I cannot do it even for myself =)

All the Best Dude...

Post a Comment


Locations of visitors to this page